Erie House Timeline

  • 1870
    • Holland Presbyterian Church—to later become Erie Neighborhood House—is founded at the corner of Erie and Noble Streets in Chicago. The neighborhood at this time consisted of mostly Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish and German immigrants. Rev. Emanuel Van Orden was the first minister of the small church.
  • 1871
    • The Great Fire of Chicago destroys a large portion of the city.
  • 1873
    • Joseph Medill is elected mayor of the city. Rev. Jacob Post is elected pastor of the Holland Presbyterian Church and serves as minister until 1875.
  • 1878
    • Rev. Oggel becomes a part-time minister at Holland Presbyterian Church until 1879. The congregation is alternately served by visiting missionaries.
  • 1882
  • 1884
    • Rev. John Vanderhook is elected pastor of Holland Presbyterian Church. Through 1925, Presbyterian ministers together with board members from area churches would serve as the institution’s leadership.
  • 1886
    • Holland Presbyterian Church renames itself Erie Chapel and relocates to 1347 W. Erie Street.
  • 1889
    • Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr found Hull House on Chicago’s near West Side.
  • 1893
    • Erie Kindergarten is one of 20 new programs founded as part of Chicago’s Free Kindergarten Association. The World’s Columbian Exhibition opens in Chicago.
  • 1894
    • As the Social Gospel Movement gains momentum, the Chicago Federation of Settlements is founded at Hull House.
  • 1895
    • Erie Chapel expands its building to accommodate growing programs like Morning and Evening Services, Industrial School, Christian Endeavor youth groups, Boy’s Brigade, Junior Choir, Reading Room, Prayer Meetings, Senior Choir, Sunday School, and Catechism Class.
  • 1897
    • First Chicago-born mayor, Carter Harrison Jr., is elected.