ESL Instructor (Part-Time)
Erie Neighborhood House, a progressive social service agency serving the Chicago metropolitan area and dedicated to promoting a just and inclusive society, is seeking a part-time ESL Instructor for its Little Village Site; this is an evening position, 17 hours a week. Class time is Monday through Thursday, 6:00–9:00 pm with 5 hours of paid prep time. Reporting to the ESL/Literacy Coordinator, the ESL Instructor’s basic function is to develop ESL curriculum and provide ESL instruction for adult learners.
- Instruct ESL adult learners.
- Develop ESL curriculum for adult learners that is based on student’s goals and motivations for enrolling in the program.
- Incorporate Workforce, Technology, Math activities and Civics competencies into daily lesson plans.
- Promote an inclusive and safe class community where students’ experiences and assets are resources for learning.
- Track student progress and success through the CASAS test and alternative methods.
- Create and maintain a course syllabus and daily lesson plans that are appropriate to the objectives of the course, and submit lesson plans to the ESL/Literacy Coordinator.
- Maintain and submit attendance records weekly.
- Follow up with students who have missed class with calls, emails or text message.
- Document outcomes and student successes.
- Employ teaching methodology that reflects research-based practices and interactive learning, addresses diverse needs, and employs methods that respond to a multi-level classroom.
- Participate in regular Erie Neighborhood House staff meetings, curriculum meetings, and events.
- Participate in student recognition events.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with other site programs and staff.
Qualifications and Requirements
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field required, and a minimum of two years experience working with ESL students.
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of adult learners, collaborate with the teaching team and volunteer tutors, and perform program administrative duties.
- Commitment to social justice and sensitivity to the assets and challenges of a diverse group of adult learners.
Erie Neighborhood House is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Accredited by NAEYC & National Afterschool Association
Recognized by the Department of Justice (DOJ)
United Way Member